The Lancaster Canal
The beautiful Lancaster canal is a peaceful haven offering 41 miles of lock free cruising, surrounded by wildlife and wonderful walks in the Lancashire countryside. One of the country's few coastal canals, the gorgeous views include the Silverdale coast, forest of Bowland and Wyre countryside, as well as the historic villages, towns and cities en route, including Lancaster, Preston, Carnforth & Garstang.
Originally built between 1792 and 1819 it carried trade between Kendal and Preston. Currently the canal extends from Preston in the south as far north as Tewitfield (north of Carnforth) and there is also a separate branch that extends to Glasson Dock on the coast, which is 3 miles in length and features 6 locks.